This is it, all done, class finished. I’d like to open this with a bit of reflection on my Design For Media class before I dive in to the project itself. In all honesty, I was most nervous about this class at the start of the semester and thought it would be stressful and not enjoyable, but I was wrong. I ended up really looking forward to this class each day and loved the flexibility of the first and third projects and had a blast working with my group on the second project. This final project was certainly my favorite when it came to the outcome. This final project I could really see my growth every week and though near the end it was challenging to keep up the creativity, I liked being pushed. I will continue making these mini paintings, but certainly not as frequently.
I can safely say that I have been inspired a lot in this class by my peers. I’ve seen things that sparked my own ideas, or things I wanted to try, or was inspired to never do something that someone else attempted. Good or bad I was impacted by seeing the other individuals blogs. I was already a fan of blogging and speaking about my own work, because it gives me a better understanding of who I am as an artist, so I knew the blogging element was going to be fun. I also enjoyed critique a lot, as I almost always have something to say about a piece of work, I only hope I never offended anyone too badly, I try to have a balance of what I say I enjoy about a piece, and what could be improved.
Thank you to my class and teachers for being very supportive and positive toward my work. Not a lot of people say anything about my work I post online, and knowing what people think of my work or if they enjoy it is important to me. I always felt like the class enjoyed looking at my work which meant more to me than they probably know.
ALRIGHT! Let’s get to the art! I’ll start off with the pieces I completed on this final week we had to work. Most of my finals were finished and I spend the whole weekend at home so I managed to get several pieces done. It was harder to be inspired after doing this for weeks, but I tried to push myself to paint something every day. Admittedly, there were two paintings that I started and about halfway through abandoned out of frustration because I was getting so burnt out. Enough explaining aside, here’s some paintings ya’ll!
First up is “Bark” hehe….get it? I wanted to create another piece similar to my “Leaves” piece from the week before. I went hiking and collected bark, scrapped the bugs and dirt off, glued the pieces to a 4 x 6 in. canvas and then made a stencil of a dog. I spray painted the dog on to the bark but it didn’t quite work, so I cleaned it up with acrylics and painted the work bubble.
Next up is “Edmund E. Eggleston”. Edmund was based on a few old photos I saw in one of my photo books and I painted his body first, then his deformed head. I then cut some eyes out of my photo book and glued them on, if you can guess those famous eyes, good on you! They’re the eyes of Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. I then framed the 4 x 6 in. canvas, and named him last.
Third is this goofy little piece “Adjustment”. I wanted to create a piece that had a character somehow interacting with an external element. I had this idea and sculpted the head and arm first, while they cooked and cooled I painted the TV and floor, then glued the character in place, painted him, and added the antenna. The canvas is 3 x 5 in. and acrylic paint, sculpey, and wire were used.
Forth is simply titled “Over The Garden Wall” and was my way of taking a break to just do some fun fanart. I was inspired by the work of my fellow classmate Lauren Hess (who does amazing work you can check out here) and a comment made my another classmate, Chris, about Over The Garden Wall. I wanted to take both of those things and put a little bit of my spin on it and this is what came about. This one is just acrylic paint on 3 x 5 in. canvas.
Fifth is another experiment with materials titled “Bored Board on Cardboard”. I wanted to play with cardboard but didn’t have any good ideas so I just sort of went for it. I was feeling pretty uninspired by this piece, so I don’t think it turned out quite as well as some of the others from this week, but was a good experiment nonetheless. Cardboard and acrylic paint on 3 x 5 in. canvas.
Lastly was a straightforward, illustrative piece called “Stretched”. This one was a bit uninspired as well and was sort of a last push to get one more piece done so I’d have a solid 20 pieces. This one is acrylic paint on 3 x 5 in. canvas with watercolor used for the background.
For this final post I’m also including a Best Of section to highlight the pieces I found to be most successful. I definitely think some were better executed than others, but all of them were fun to work on and helped me grow through this process. Here’s my personal Best Of Daily Creative Habit.
“The Jealous Giantess” 4 x 6 in. Acrylic paint and cut photos. Framed.
“If the Mona Lisa was a banana instead of a woman” 4 x 6 in. Acrylic paint. Framed.
“A Restless Still Life” 3 x 5 in. Acrylic paint and Sculpey.
“The Painter” 4 x 6 in. Acrylic paint and wood.
“Edmund E. Eggleston” 4 x 6 in. Acrylic paint and cut photos. Framed.
Thank you so much for checking out my work and my blogs and for your support. It’s been a blast but we are finished! Catch you on the flippity flip!